Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Land-use effect on hydropedology in a mountainous region of Southeastern Brazil
Other Titles: Efeito do uso do solo na hidropedologia em uma região montanhosa do sudeste do Brasil
Keywords: Upper montane tropical forest
Ecological services
Mapping modeling
Floresta tropical de altitude
Serviços ecológicos
Modelo de mapeamento
Issue Date: Jul-2017
Publisher: Editora da Universidade Federal de Lavras
Citation: PINTO, L. C. et al. Land-use effect on hydropedology in a mountainous region of Southeastern Brazil. Ciência e Agrotecnologia, Lavras, v. 41, n. 4, p. 413-427, Jul./Aug. 2017.
Abstract: In Brazil, the Mantiqueira Range, southeastern region, shelters the last remnants of the ecologically important Upper Montane Tropical Forest. since extensive exploration that has been taking place in this biome for decades, the influence of land-use changes on hydropedology in these areas must be investigated once major land-use changes have been observed. This study aims to evaluate the land-use influence on soil drainable porosity (SDP) in a headwater watershed located in the Mantiqueira Range region, and to validate the proposed methods based on micromorphological and hydrological indicators. The native vegetation of the study area is Atlantic forest that occupies 62% of the area, and the remaining 38% has been used for pasture. Thirty nine combinations of environmental variables were tested, each one generating a map for predicting SDP. The performance of the spatial prediction of SDP was assessed using 20% of the data from the total number of samples collected throughout the watershed. The least values of SDP are due to the process of removal of native forest and replacement by pasture. Areas with high to moderate SDP are associated with native forest fragments demonstrating the effects of the Atlantic Forest on the water infiltration and groundwater recharge processes, given by the greater contribution of baseflow in a forested catchment located within the studied watershed. The analysis of soil micromorphological images provided useful supporting information on the soil porosity system and along with hydrological properties of the watershed helped understand the SDP behavior on subsurface and groundwater storage capacity.
Appears in Collections:DEG - Artigos publicados em periódicos

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
ARTIGO_Land-use effect on hydropedology in a mountainous region of Southeastern Brazil.pdf7,27 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License Creative Commons